Monday, August 11, 2008

HOT LITERARY MAN MEAT (or rather SOME MORE HANDSOME FRIENDS OF MINE)

Man, that sounds kind of disrespectful. Whatever. CHRISTOPHER ISHERWOOD and FRIENDS.

ISHERWOOD






ISHERWOOD AND AUDEN








DONALD BACHARDY




ISHERWOOD and BACHARDY

3 comments:

heliotrope said...

eric...fucking bloooger ate my last 5 attempted comments here in the past few days...from without it devours me thinkx...anyway, you are too kind for own good (I'm sure you already know that)...that thang I misguidedly sent to DC...well it's way out of context, makes no sense without the bookends...should of sent a poem...but leave it to me to take something that even I'm not sure I like, and plop it down where it doesn't belong.

Okay I'm off to "put on a happy face" for Jules arrival home from Hollywood hell...it never does any good to be sad when someone needs you to be strong...but I'm so pissed and bummed about her work reality...pah!

xxoo, Mark

heliotrope said...

Oh yeah...it seems that my parents knew and hung out with everybody...including Isherwood...my mom never said much...just got a far away look in her eyes...she was far more talkative about Anais Nin and Miller...and she loved Durrell! cheers

heliotrope said...

Hey Eric...as usual, you are too kind. Thanks for words and encouragement. No, I didn't think you deleted any comments, rather that it was a system glitch.

As to cephalopods...okay here's my deal...the vamp is weirdness incarnate. Mindboggling in adaptation, beautiful in it's gelatinous grace, and intriguing in it's mystery. So I'm down with you there. But I'm really a sucker for chromatophores in my coleoids. I mean don't we all wish that we could reveal, hide, or blend in merely by virtue of waves of coloured reactivity on our dermis?

Okay, maybe not everyone would want that...but it would be an amazingly beautiful world and emotional retards could be more easily avoided..."Hey look...I think Johnny gonna beat up the new kid...he's going all orange stripey like that time he freaked out on Billy." or "I knew you liked me the minute your ears started flashing purple and green dots." Whatever.

So yes...cephalopods...totally dig them. Always my favorite exhibits at The Monterey Bay Aquarium (after my beloved nudibranches) are the cephs or whatever weird jellies they have at the time (seems to change a fair amount). Have you ever been there? Highly recommended. I really should have studied Botany or Biology...easily my favorite times have been spent around people in those fields...and my grandfather was a biologist...so I kind of grew up with people who really loved to observe and learn ad infinitum.

Have you ever read Loren Eisley? A bit out of date but his essays remain a thing of beaty and insight to my eyes. I especially recommend an essay called, "How Flowers Changed The World", a short lovely piece. It's in a great collection called, "The Invisible Pyramid"...I also think that essay is in another collection that is perhaps more easily secured called, "The Starthrower".

Anyway Eric...thank you so much for your continued kindnesses...they truly mean something. See you around the campus...

xxoo, Mark